Norfolk County Help Centre Receives $16,600 for Mom’s & Tots Program.
On August 14 , 2019 100 Women Who Care Norfolk selected Norfolk County Help Centre as the recipient of $16,600 (presented by member Janice Warrell).
The Mom’s & Tots Program currently has 30 women registered. They work towards a high school diploma and engage with volunteers and peers to improve their social skills including their command of the English language. Many attendees are from the local Mennonite community. This program is offered at no cost to the attendees and since many live in remote and isolated parts of the county, transportation is subsidized.
Not only are Mom’s provided with a great learning opportunity, support and mentorship in this environment, but their pre-school children learn valuable skills to ensure they are ready when they enter school.
Literacy can empower individuals to make informed choices about their lives, make better financial decision, manage their health and utilize technology which in turn allows them to engage with society more fully.
Pictured: Annette McGill, presenter for H-N Children’s Safety Village, Janice Warrell, presenter for Norfolk Community Help Centre and June Dorie, presenter for St. Paul’s Anglican Church.
To learn more details about this charity as well all previous successful charities, to go the “Charities” tab on this web site.
Are you someone who is interested in helping others but is stretched for time?
Do you want to be a part of an empowered group of women who want to make a direct, positive and immediate effect on the lives of others – right here in Norfolk County?
Would you like to network with other like-minded women in Norfolk County?
What is this Organization? What is expected of me?
- There are four one hour meetings each year
- To become a member you are required to sign a Commitment Form agreeing to donate $100 per meeting, 4 times a year whether or not in attendance
- At each meeting, 3 representatives will make a 5 minute presentation on their charity
- After the presentation, the members will vote by secret ballot. The charity receiving the most votes will receive all the donations E.g. 100 members x $100 = $10,000
- The charity agrees that the funds will remain in Norfolk, will be used to benefit programs locally and will not be used for administrative costs
- Income tax receipts will be distributed at the next meeting directly from the charity