Since 2014, just under $585,000 has been raised for 37 Norfolk charities by 100 Women Who Care Norfolk! What an accomplishment! How did we do it? One hundred dollars ($100) four
times per year x 173 members (Membership fluctuates). Who has benefited? A total of 37 Norfolk Charities who service thousands of Norfolk residents.
August 2023 Update: The successful recipient of $17,300 was SCS Music Program (presented by Melissa Mummery). The other 2 charities who were selected to present were Norfolk Children’s Nutrition Network (Joan Good) and the HN Alzheimer’s Society (Diane Holmes).
This money will be spent on new musical instruments which will replace aging instruments which were donated, some more than 20 years ago. Instruments are costly: a French horn can command $2100, a clarinet $600 a saxophone $1100 and a trombone $600.
Many of the students who attend the music program have no instrument experience and will either gravitate to the largest, loudest instruments while others will quietly blend in with the smaller quieter ones. The students will find friendship, acceptance, and a place to belong while blossoming into budding musicians which will impact their lives forever.
To learn more details about this charity as well all previous successful charities, go to the “Charities” tab on this web site.
Are you someone who is interested in helping others but is stretched for time?
Do you want to be a part of an empowered group of women who want to make a direct, positive and immediate effect on the lives of others – right here in Norfolk County?
Would you like to network with other like-minded women in Norfolk County?
What is this Organization? What is expected of me?
- There are four one hour meetings each year
- To become a member you are required to sign a Commitment Form agreeing to donate $100 per meeting, 4 times a year whether or not in attendance
- At each meeting, 3 representatives will make a 5 minute presentation on their charity
- After the presentation, the members will vote by secret ballot. The charity receiving the most votes will receive all the donations E.g. 100 members x $100 = $10,000
- The charity agrees that the funds will remain in Norfolk, will be used to benefit programs locally and will not be used for administrative costs
- Income tax receipts will be distributed at the next meeting directly from the charity