March 2021 UPDATE: We are pleased to announce that we have selected HN Women’s Services as the successful recipient at our February 2021 “email” meeting. They have received $16,400.
This money will be used to finish the renovations on the 1960’s, 800 square foot home which HNWS purchased in 2019.
Ultimately, the home will be rented to a high-risk woman and her children who are survivors of abuse. Due to COVID, HNWS have temporarily repurposed the home as a 14-day isolation space prior to the family being admitted to the shelter.
Specifically, these funds will be used to update the front and back porches, purchase & install security cameras and grade the entire property to an acceptable standard. Selfless volunteers from HNWS and Habitat for Humanity (who partnered with HNWS) have already replaced kitchen cabinets, the furnace, water heater, the roof, soffits and windows. This final leg of renovations will bring the home up to code and ensure it is safe, comfortable and secure for those families fleeing abuse.
HNWS provides 24-hour crisis intervention, counseling, advocacy, support and residential services to assist women aged 16 and older, with or without children, who need access to a place of safety from abuse. HNWS has helped more than 1300 women and children and during COVID, the need remains extremely high. While professionals are instrumental in the delivery of these services, volunteers contribute thousands of hours to ensure programs and services are available to all who need it.
FUTURE MEETINGS: We will continue to conduct our quarterly meetings via email. The next meeting will be held in May so look for emails leading up to this meeting in April. If you know of a Norfolk Charity who could use some support, please consider submitting their name. If you need to reach us simply email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. NOTE: New members are welcome to join.
The total donations since May 2014 are just over $400,000…supporting 27 local charities.
To learn more details about this charity as well all previous successful charities, to go the “Charities” tab on this web site.
Are you someone who is interested in helping others but is stretched for time?
Do you want to be a part of an empowered group of women who want to make a direct, positive and immediate effect on the lives of others – right here in Norfolk County?
Would you like to network with other like-minded women in Norfolk County?
What is this Organization? What is expected of me?
- There are four one hour meetings each year
- To become a member you are required to sign a Commitment Form agreeing to donate $100 per meeting, 4 times a year whether or not in attendance
- At each meeting, 3 representatives will make a 5 minute presentation on their charity
- After the presentation, the members will vote by secret ballot. The charity receiving the most votes will receive all the donations E.g. 100 members x $100 = $10,000
- The charity agrees that the funds will remain in Norfolk, will be used to benefit programs locally and will not be used for administrative costs
- Income tax receipts will be distributed at the next meeting directly from the charity